Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss

Every day as we sit in our sheltered worlds we hear about new things going on all around us. We hear about horrible things such as the current state of our troops in Afghanistan, our health care and the way doctors are treating mentally ill, and the dangerous work conditions employees are having to endure. Now that we are aware of these situations, what do we do now? Is it our duty to take action and fix these problems. I think that it is our responsibility, once we are aware of these unfortunate events, reach out to the less fortunate and do our best to prevent them from continuing. I will admit, I myself have been to a fast food restaurant since reading a passage from Fast Food Nation, even after the devastating realization of what those flat, grease-filled patties go through to get here today. I'm not proud of it, but I think I speak for most when I say that it is extremely difficult to remember the treacheries happening around us. Maybe that just means that we need to be reminded more often, instead of drifting back into our ignorant dream world. I am confidant that most people believe that it is right to do something about the wrongs in the world. I also think that people diliberately avoid learning new information in order to their own preachings. Isn't playing dumb what we do best? How can we take the blame if, "We didn't know?" It's about time that we stop talking and start doing. If we don't, then who will?

No comments: